Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Royal Reflection

On July 21, 1981, I was the 12 year old girl tucked away in the Tennessee mountains who crept up at 5:30 AM to watch a Royal Wedding on her only television channel.  On September 6, 1997, I was the 28 year old woman in Louisville, Kentucky who crept up (trying not to wake the babies) to watch a Royal Funeral while clutching a box of tissues. And this morning, I can't help but feel joyous for Prince William as his engagement to Kate Middleton is announced.

It was inevitable that I would adore and idolize Princess Diana. My mother had insured my fascination with all things royal through the stories and fairy tales she patiently read to me as a child. Consequently, after watching Princess Diana's wedding, I was starstruck, and through the years I collected many, many magazines, photos, and books in  my attempt to be closer to this beautiful family. I was so happy when she gave birth to her sons, and cheered with each milestone they achieved! William's first steps, Harry's first day of school, the sporting events,  the holidays... all were right there on the pages of People Magazine for me to enjoy.

 Princess Diana's death only made me feel even more love for her boys. Both of my parents have passed on, and my heart just absolutely broke for them. Watching them grow up under extreme scrutiny, I  have been so proud of them, knowing in my heart that in spite of their smiles, a twinge of sadness and temperance exists that only mourning can create.

 So, as I journey further into this Windsor Fairy Tale, I am very happy for Prince William and Kate Middleton. I can't wait to  set my alarm, rise, and witness another Royal Wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment